Instagram

Friday 29 November 2013

New Rules for Indonesian Maids

Nowadays, the cost to hire an Indonesian maid to this country is around MYR 10,000- MYR 12,000. With a wage ranging from MYR 700 and above. That's an arm and leg innit?

My grandmother has been living on her own in Ampang Jaya. The premise is a big ass double storey semi-D. Every now and then she has to climb up and down the stairs for the purpose of going to the kitchen and back to her master bedroom.

She is a very healthy woman, eats well and takes care of her body. I don't quite recall how old she is, but i think she is around her late 60's. At this point of age, she tends to be very concern about her ability to do the house chores and climbing the fold back stairs herself. If I remember correctly, she started having problems with her knees not being strong anymore and so she went to physiotherapy sessions at a gym in Taman Melawati twice a week.

On so many occasions she highlighted to my beloved mother on how she desperately need a maid to help out around the house. I recently acquire the service of a maid that used to take care my wife's grandmother, we took her in to look after of our kid. Recommended and trusted by my father in law. When I brought her to my family house in Bandar Baru Bangi, my mother asked the maid whether she got connections in Indonesia who supply maids.

Being a very business minded maid, she then took the offer to contact her counterparts in Indonesia to bring in one girl to work for my grandmother and so the story goes.

The point I am writing this is simply to share my experience with the processes on taking foreign maids from Indonesia. In fact, I just got to know this today after my father had a trip to the Immigration to resolve the matter.

Before October 1st 2013, there are two ways to import an Indonesian maid to work for you. Its either through an Agent or direct contact through individuals in Indonesia which sometimes called "Ibu" or "Tekong". The reason why most of the people here opt to choose the 2nd option is merely because the cost saving factor. That's a total chunk of almost MYR 8,000 savings.

Well, it cost us MYR 2,300 for this new maid to reach on our front door. This excludes the processing costs for the Working Permit application which is about MYR 2000++. Still worth it for me. And so the new maid reached our house last Monday with a visiting pass for 30 days. So all we got to do after is to take her to immigration, fill in the forms, and make sure she is medically OK to apply for the working permit.

I came across an interesting blog that provides the full details on how to apply your maid's working permit yourself without going through an Agent but all of this is considered obsolete after 1st October 2013.

The new rules states that Application for Indonesian Maid must go through Registered Agents only. It means you have to get a large chunk of paper ready if you're hiring one.

Haiiihhhh..what saddens me the most is the fact that the new maid is already here at my grandmothers. She is so called a freshie to this country, she got two kids back home. She use to earn around IDR 100,000 per month which is equivalent to MYR 30 here and that was the reason why she took the leap of faith coming here. Now we got to send her back to her country because of the new rules and she didn't know about it yet.  Poor lass.








No comments:

Post a Comment